Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Tough Mudder

I hardly ever post pics or talk much about my hubby, but his weekend achievement is one that deserves a huge shout out and I can't wait to share!

NorCal Tahoe  Tough Mudder!
my tough mudder (and a guy from his team)


He, of course, claims that the obstacles were pretty easy - but that mostly uphill, high-altitude, 12-mile run were what made it hard.

We actually stayed in Tahoe the night before which made it easier to get there in time.  So, after leaving the cabin before the sun came up, we headed to Northstar Ski Resort (where the event was being held).  I'm not sure what the stats were on the race, but there were THOUSANDS of people there - most of them were running, but there were a lot of spectators too.  This was my first time attending a big racing event as an adult and definitely the first time with a baby!

Sadly, we were in a team and they didn't get there early enough for their original start time - guess they underestimated the traffic and parking situations.  They all had to park farther down the hill at other ski resorts and catch a shuttle bus up to the resort!

source
waiting for the rest of the team before the race!
While we waited we were able to watch the fastest people of the first group tackle the half pipe (which you can see behind the hubs above).  There were lots of fun costumes (I should have taken pictures!) and we had a ton of fun watching some of the early goers tackle Everest.    It's really cool how people will help each other (even total strangers!)  tackle Everest.  The Hubs made it by himself first try then hung out and helped pull his teammates up!  Such a cool experience.  I actually missed watching them on Everest because I was waiting at the next (and last) obstacle to cheer them to the end!  Watching Electroshock Therapy was interesting - there were some people who totally ate it and fell face first into the giant puddle, some who came through screaming (in pain), and some who took it like it was nothing (read: my husband).  I'm not sure how I'd feel doing that obstacle!
Everest
When he and his team came out the other end, they were COVERED in mud.  Yes, it's tough mudder and a mud run, but they made the other mudders look downright clean.  I found out later that this was because they were doing cannonballs into the puddles during the Mud Mile after one of their teammates fell in accidentally!  He's still cleaning mud out of his ears and nose!

Mud Mile 
source

I was hoping to take the spectator path and catch as much of the run as I could, but between the huge number of spectators, gravel paths that even the jogger stroller was a challenge with, and the fact that I was SUPER thirsty with the elevation and drank all my water less than halfway up to the start, I couldn't catch up!  (They wouldn't allow babies in carriers on the chair lift, but if they could walk to the lift they could ride?  Scary.  I'd rather take a trapped baby in the carrier than a wiggly, walking, one-year old!)

Overall it was a fun experience and I half want to do it myself!  However, the 12 mile run would probably be too much for me!  I've never run farther than 4 miles in a straight go - more of a sprinter here!  I also think I'd completely eat it on Everest, struggle with Hold Your Wood, and completely lose it when facing Electroshock Therapy!  

Speaking of Hold Your Wood, my absolute beast of a husband grabbed one of the biggest logs (6ft) and ran with it BY HIMSELF.  When I heard that, I called him a show-off!  Apparently most of the other runners were saying the same thing!  Haha.  Gotta love him.  

All-in-all, it sounds like the guys had a GREAT time and I'm wondering if I should try training for a race, or even the mudder!  It actually sounds like fun.  I just don't know when I'll have the time to get back to that level of fitness with the beeb.  I've been working on getting workouts back into my daily routine, and it's a struggle, but worth it to me to try harder.  So much to do, so little time, and such a lovely little distraction!  
mommy's little distraction

Recap of the mudder:
Lots of fun.  HUGELY crowded.  Muddy Hubby.  Teamwork for the win.

a couple more photos:
The Guys after the race - all muddy!
Caterpillar Mudder

at the end of the race... baby is tuckered and daddy is all MUDDY!

and a video of our guys (Team Dragon!) running through Electroshock...Forgive the loud, high screaming... I was so excited and so proud!  

Happy Mudding!

~Errant Soprano





2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! We had such a good time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Sounds intense!! What a tough guy you have!

    ReplyDelete