Friday, March 14, 2014

A.T.G.F.B. (Absolutely Terrified Gluten Free Baking)

I can't remember if I've mentioned it here before, but about a year ago, I decided to go gluten-free/limit my gluten consumption.  No need to go into the reasons since that isn't the point of the post!

I used to bake a ton!  My husband LOVED it.  Pies, Cakes, and Cookies were regularly coming out of our oven and it was one of the best ways for me to de-stress after a rough week.  Since going gluten free, however, I've been terrified to bake and have done very little.  The baking I have done has been from boxes and mixes.  I don't know if I'm nesting or what, but the urge to bake has been getting stronger.  This has led to more baking (admittedly still from a box) but I'd like to share some of the little things that have worked well!

*please keep in mind that these are not trying to be healthy recipes*

GF mixed berry muffins using Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix.  These came out SO good and I just pulled the recipe off the side of the package.  I used frozen mixed berries from Trader Joe's that I defrosted while I mixed.  Then I added my own 'streusel' topping that I made from Coconut oil, brown sugar, and a pinch of gf mixed flour.  I used this recipe and modified to my preference.  I'm not 100% dairy free, but since I'm sensitive to dairy, I used coconut oil in place of the butter.

GF birthday cakes for my munchkin: 
all of these cakes (for Dec's first birthday) were made with Bob's Red Mill gf cake mixes.  Both the chocolate and the vanilla.  I was making a bunch of cakes that month since my boy and my mom share a birthday and we celebrated it twice!  These were unmodified - I just followed the directions on the package - and were a pretty big hit!

and, right now, I've got my first GF banana bread in the oven... *crossing my fingers* that it comes out!  It's also made with Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix (Which has nuts and dairy in it, for those with issues with either of those things) and some bananas that were going sad in my kitchen.  Again I substituted Coconut oil for the butter.  Let you know how it goes!

~E.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment